Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4th - Start of my second semester

Well hey there! Fancy meeting you here.

Today, after a well-lived 2 week break, was my first day back at school. I am IN LOVE with my Monday classes. As for Tuesdays and Wednesdays .... it's too soon to tell.

**Monday AM - Fashion Illustration
I had to go buy a crap tonne of art supplies for this class and I am SO not an artist. It made me kinda nervous. The 2-level craft store I went to was so overwhelming and I had to hunt down charcoal pencils, and graphite pencils, and 2hb and 5hb and tracing paper and graph paper and the list goes on. But during our class overview today I realized I have nothing to be frightened of. My teacher is super laid back - typical of an art teacher - and advised that as long as a person shows up and does what's asked, you won't just pass; you will get an A. Easy peasy.

**Monday PM - Fashion Awareness 1
I have always been so excited for this class and the reality of which did not dissapoint. My teacher is just a fountain of knowledge and I can't help but automatically have a tremendous amount of respect for her. It seems that you ask her anything at all and she will give you a 10 minute explanation of why it came to be, who designed it, the dates the photoshoot was released, who the designer had an affair with, the mistress' birthday blah blah blah. It's amazing.

This kind of stuff may not seem interesting to you but I adore it. I like randomly knowing that the classic Chanel quilted purse came out in February 1955 after Coco's 14 year absence from fashion due to her affair with a Nazi enemy and subsequential move to Switzerland after being shunned and ridiculed by Parisians for said affair. hahaha, I love that when you ask a typical college student "what did you learn today?" you will most likely get a dorky answer like - "well, in 1960 Joseph Kittenger flew 102,000 feet up and past the tropopause by hot air balloon then jumped into free fall to test the results of atmospheric pressure on the human body." Whereas you ask me this same question and you get gossip from the 1920's or the fact that so and so's Runway Show demonstrated inspiration from Egyptian Royalty. It seems kind of ridiculous and somewhat trivial; but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh - I guess I went off on quite the tangent there. To summarize what I actually review in Fashion Awareness 1 is this:

We disect different era's in fashion (today we started with Victorian era {1890's} and the Edwardian era {1901-1910}; named such because of who held the throne at the time) and we look closely at what they wore and why they wore it based on different political and economic events at the time. Also, we look at how these trends influenced art and architecture or those same eras (and vice versa). It's rad.
That's all for today; I'll let you know how tomorrow goes :)

1 comment: